Thursday, April 2, 2015

Another day in movie paradise

Watching it! A roller coaster ride
Before watching Big Hero 6 with my group I had previously seen the movie twice in theaters. The first time I watched it was at a movie theater in Santa Cruz with a close friend of mine. The movie atmosphere was perfect and I couldn't have asked to watch it with anyone else but with Jackie Guerrero by my side. Btw this movie theater had legit leather arm chairs with foot rests, it's to be reckoned with. I watched it for a second time at a theater in Emeryville with another friend. A movie can always be made exponentially better with great company. There's nothing like watching movie for the first time (like anything else). Watching the movie over and over can definitely make you realize how much better it might have been the first time. Nonetheless there's still a lot to learn from a movie even after the first or second time. All media (or at least the good media) have some sort of secret, gem or detail that won't be appreciated until you've watched it a couple of times. Having to pay so much attention the third time around made me look deeper into the mechanisms of the relationships between characters. I wasn't very moved when Tadashi died. Over all I felt that there wasn't a deep enough connection between Hiro and Tadashi. Like I mentioned before I also felt that this scene felt forced, so that didn't sit right with me either. On the other hand, when Baymax committed the ultimate sacrifice I was truly moved, the first time. Every time after that I felt like I was already expecting it (of course) and was therefore emotionally prepared. The plot twist in this movie was also not the biggest, there were two obvious candidates for lead protagonist and I guess it came down to the one who faked his death. Not to say that it wasn't original, but I feel like that road has been over played and it's quite banal at this point. Predictable movies aren't fun, especially when they can be predicted early on. I'd like to reiterate how good of a plot twist Wreck it Ralph has, go out and buy that movie today! Apparently there's a sequel to Wreck it Ralph in the works so I guess you could also just wait for that, I'm sure it'll be amazing. Disney is huge and can do anything and everything in their power to make us all take out our wallets and cough up our dough. Overall the movie experience was great, I had a blast watching it for the third time and also should note that the movie includes a short film called Feast that can cheer-up anyone feeling blue. This assignment was groovy. Building real life relationships might be the most important skill we as humans can develop. Being in a class that explores this skill is crucial and should be implemented in a wider variety of classes, I thank thee for that. I would totes, no questions asked, recommend this class to any futures students!

1 comment:

  1. You gotta love a movie when you have seen it more than three times, and I totally agree that there is still much to learn from the subsequent viewings, though as you point out things become more predictable and some connections seem strained. I only saw it once in the theaters, but I’m sure to see it more. Glad you thought the assignment was groovy, and the class a worth-while experience :)

    ReplyDelete