Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Relational Goals


I have a many important relationships in my life. Some of those just stick out more than others do. Two people that have helped me a lot in my life is my mom and small group leader from church back home. They are two very special ladies. They have both helped me with understanding things that I could not understand.

One time I was really upset about a grade I got on a group project because no one in my group did what they were supposed to do. I did most of the work and had to stay up real late to get it done the night before because they were not prepared. The presentation did not look as well as it should have. If my group had done what they were supposed to do then we would not have had this problem. When I had got home from practice my mom was already home and she saw that I was very upset.  Normally she would tell me to get over it because it would have been my fault for doing my work on time. In this case she knew I had this big project due and saw me stay up late doing it. She asked me how it went and I told her that I did fine, but the rest of my group did not. I told her that all of us in the group were going to get the same grade and that was not going to be good. She told me that I should go talk to the teacher. I told her that I did and nothing was going to be done about it. Without me knowing she emailed my teacher telling them that they should listen to me and at least raise my grade on the project a little. The next day I was already planning to go and try and talk to my teacher one more time. My mom told me that I should not give up and that I should just suck it up if my teacher did not change their mind. My teacher did raise my grade not because of my mom but because of me. After I asked them to let me explain myself they said that they would take it into consideration. After that they asked if I had asked my mom to email them. I told them no and they said that she did email them. In the end my mom was right. She told me that I should stick up for myself and try not to get into this situation again.

Another key person in my life is Jackie. She is my small group leader back home. She helped me to try and get my dad to see why I wanted to go away to college. She was there for me when my grandfather died. When I was having trouble dealing with some friends who were not making very good choices, and trying to understand other people’s points of view on the world. She told me that I should be brave, kind, strong and loving no matter what was going to happen. She taught me to be more independent and trusting. She never treated me like a little kid and talked to me as an equal. Without her I probably would not have been able to do some of the things in my life that have impacted me so much. I learned how to resolve things from her. I will always be greatful.

No comments:

Post a Comment