Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Miscommunication in Conflict

We've all had that argument via texting or social media, that was taken to a whole different level because the message was taken in the wrong way.  This has happened to me numerous times, but most recently with my roommate, L.  L tends to leave her side of the room a mess, letting it get to a point where the mess starts to come over to my side of the room, or even in the common area of the room itself.  I have asked her numerous times to keep her mess to her side of the room, and she usually cleans up a little bit.  However, recently she went home for the weekend, leaving her side of the room a mess, and as usual it was also in my area and the common area of the room.  While this bothered me, I decided that it wasn't worth it to argue since she wasn't home anyways.  I texted her to ask if I could borrow some construction paper.  After saying it was fine for me to borrow it, I went over to try to find it in her desk, but was unable to find it due to the mess.  I texted her back stating "Hey where exactly is the paper, I can't find it anywhere." She told me exactly where I would find the paper, but I still couldn't find the paper. I simply texted her back saying that I still couldn't find the paper but that I didn't need it until Tuesday so she could just find it when she got back. L somehow took offense to this, claiming that I was telling her that her side was unbearably messy.  I had to tell her that it was not at all what I had meant by the joke that I had made, and that I was sorry that it had offended her.

This made me realize that conflict is often caused over social media and texting because of misinterpretations.  Sarcastic remarks, jokes, etc are often made but because the tone of someone's voice cannot be heard through the internet, conflict often arises.  Due to this, I feel it is in everyones best interests to have arguments and conflicts in person or even over the phone.  While the conflict with my roommate was very minor and quickly solved, it could have gotten worse if it had gone on for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment