Friday, May 8, 2015

Conflict in the workplace
Workplace conflict happens everywhere now a days, from congress, to school, fast food places and etc. These conflicts can not be avoided, but instead the people involved have to figure out a way to settle their differences and compromise, in order to get the best production.
    In my case conflict in the workplace occurs frequently at my weekend job Burger King. Most of the employees are young teenagers that try to balance school and work like myself. The managers are all on the older side (30’s and 40’s) and seem to have a different way of thinking because they just never seem to understand that we have more important things to do other than taking orders at a minimum wage job. I believe they take their job way too serious because they know they are going to be stuck their for the rest of their lives. Whereas the young employees see it just as a temporary thing to help pay for things like gas, food, books, tuition and etc. We know that we have a better future ahead of us and prioritize school over work.
    Prioritizing school over work really seems to upset my managers. I know this because whenever I have to study for an exam or write a paper for school I ask for days off in advance. Doing this seems reasonable to to the average person because school is more important. However every time I do this the next day I come into work I have to do all the grunt work for my whole shift which at times is eight hours. By this I mean I have to wash and scrub the parking lot, sweep outside, take out all the garbage, mop, wash dishes and etc. This really upsets me because I don’t see why I should get punished for taking days off for school and not to mention I even give them a couple weeks of notice. On the most recent occasion which was last weekend I confronted the store manager and told her what she was doing to me was unfair and not justified. Her response was that she was not doing anything wrong all she was doing was assigning task that had to be done. This really pissed me off but instead of going off on her I just walked up away from the situation and plan on quitting that job as soon as school ends without giving them a notice.
    I know the way I'm handling the situation is not the best. Walking away from the conflict and quitting my job probably is not the best choice, a better solution would probably be coming up with a compromise like them work around my schedule or finding an alternative to me asking for days off. Something like having to take on an extra shift instead of doing grunt work. Although these are better solutions I feel like the managers at my work would not even attempt to compromise and as a result I have no choice but to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment