Sunday, May 3, 2015

A Conflict Memory

So, this particular prompt wants me to recall the most 'disturbing' conflict I've had to deal with in the past half year or so. I decided to change the word disturbing to the phrase 'utterly obnoxious', and instantly knew what I could write/sort of rant about.

About two or three months ago, I was just hanging out in my room with one of the guys across the hall watching Bobs Burgers when he gets a call from one of our friends. She was insanely drunk and sounded extremely upset and could not for the life of her get out a full sentence. Finally we gathered that she was at a party with her boyfriend and was really afraid because her boyfriend was belligerently drunk and yelling at her calling her absurd names and threatening to get violent with her. She ended her story by asking the two of us to come pick her up from a house in sand city, and then just hung up.
For the next 40 minutes my friend and I were texting back and forth with her drunk self, attempting to get an address from her, or having her send us her location via iMessage. Her classic response of the night was to tell us that her phone was on 1%. 1%. For 40 minutes she was telling us that her phone was on 1%. Finally, as we were driving around aimlessly in sand city, hoping to just randomly come up on this party, she sent us her location. But right after she tells us not to come and that she's just going to sleep on the couch instead.
At this point I'm beyond frustrated with her and the address was just around the corner, so my plan was just to show up at the house and take her. But when we got there the house seemed dormant, so I called her a couple times (she would reject the call after a few rings) in an attempt to be civil about getting her. But it looked like that wasn't going to be how it all went down. After a good 10 minutes of sitting outside the house, a car pulled in the driveway. I swiftly hopped out of the passenger seat and approached the people in the car, and one of them turned out to be the girl I was getting's really good friend. She seemed really confused as to why I was there so I told her the whole situation. She immediately got defensive and told my friend and I that everything was fine and that we should just leave her here; that our friend and her boyfriend just needed to sleep everything off. I wasn't having that so I got a little upset/loud with the girl, causing the guy in the drivers seat to get out and come get a little rude with me.
He pretty much was in my face telling me that I couldn't take her and that he didn't know me so I should just leave. Then a couple more guys came out side and just stood behind him looking at me like it was supposed to be intimidating. Eventually, the guy that came with me grabbed my arm and told me that we should just leave because getting into it with these guys wasn't going to be worth it.
The next morning we both received a text from the girl that we were supposed to pick up that essentially just said 'sorry bro, I got really drunk last night and there was like a thousand things going on at once. my bad'

So basically, my emotional response to this whole situation was just pure frustration. My response over all, was to just stop speaking with this girl completely because she had pulled similar stunts before and I was just completely over it. She texted me the next couple of days as well, but none of those texts got a response; I essentially just cut her out of my life. Normally, I would have confronted her and told her what was wrong and why I was upset with her, but this time I felt like she didn't even deserve  that. My friend and I pretty much felt taken advantage of since we had to 'rescue' her from situations like this more times than we should have. I decided that her irresponsible behavior had gone on too long and that I was over associating with a person like that. So instead of doing my norm, and getting my issues out in the open, I just let this one go un-resolved and let it blow over on its own.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what an insane story. I totally see where your frustration is coming from, I would be super annoyed at that whole thing as well for sure. But do you think it was the right decision to just walk out of the friendship with no explanation and no conversation. I understand that this has happened before, but maybe there is a reason she keeps trying to get your help more important than just her being drunk and annoying. Having a good conversation about the way you felt might help her open up and maybe see the fault in this as well as allow you to move on. Obviously you have very strong feelings about this situation and keeping that all inside might not be the best way to resolve your feelings either.

    ReplyDelete