Thursday, May 7, 2015

Arguing is Healthy

Recently, during a small argument with my boyfriend, he tried to end the argument abruptly without any resolution. When I expressed to him that I did not like that, I went on to explain that arguing is healthy in a relationship. This statement was confusing to him for a while, and I wasn't sure how to explain it at the time. After thinking about it for a while, I realized what I meant by that statement and the reasons why I believe it to be true.

When I said that, I did not mean that a couple should argue as much as they can because it is healthy. What I actually meant was that if a couple is having a disagreement, it is better to express their concerns and how they feel in an effort to resolve the issue. This is healthier than holding it in and letting the resent build up as a result of leaving disagreements unresolved.

One reason I believe that arguments (or more of the resolution of the arguments) are healthy within relationships is because it helps the couple get to know each other in the way that they confront and manage conflict. This is good because over time, with each and every resolution, the relationship will grow and it will become easier to handle conflicts in the future.

Another reason that resolving conflict is beneficial in a relationship is that it shows commitment. If one or both people in the relationship did not care enough to communicate concerns or problems that are important to them, it would show that the partnership is no longer something that matters. So, as long as the couple manages conflict in an efficient and healthy way, it will show that they are still important to each other and the relationship is healthy. 
relationship coaching

No comments:

Post a Comment