Wednesday, May 6, 2015

conflict in the workplace


Conflict in the workplace is not uncommon. Some conflict can be resolved easily while other times it cannot.  During the summer going into my freshman year of college I worked at a small lavender farm. There were three of us working there at the time. It was always really hot outside on the weed barrier when we would cut the lavender so we did not wear gloves. Wearing the gloves made our hand all sweaty and gross. One day in the middle of June the heat was unbearable and again we did not wear the gloves. That day two accidents happened. One was that I got stung by an angry bee that was on the lavender bush that I was cutting. I did not see it. One of my coworkers went to get me some ice for me. My boss came back out with her. She shook her head at me with the look on face that said “I told you so”. From that point on I started to wear gloves all the time. Even if they did make my hand all sweaty and gross. The second incident that day was when Peyton cut his hand with the clippers. It was a deep cut. We did not know what to do. We did not want to get into any more trouble. We needed to tell our boss what happened but did not want to get yelled at. Peyton said that he would just go and get a Band-Aid. The band-aid was not going to do much. He was starting to get a little pale. This conflict that we were facing was going to end in that we learned our lesson and should always wear gloves or that we were all going to get yelled at. In the end we decided that it would be best for Peyton that we get in trouble. In the end it turned out we did the right thing by telling our boss what happened. Peyton had to get stiches and we learned our lesson. Our boss just looked at us with the same look she gave me earlier, the “I told you so” look. Our conflict in the end was resolved easily because no one got really mad and we worked it out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment