Wednesday, March 4, 2015

My History with Violence, Post #1

     I have often contemplated the impact violence can have on a person's life, especially my own. I think it tends to have dramatic impacts on families and individuals when violence is common and uncontrolled. In my life however violence has played a different role. The word violence often inspires thoughts of aggression or physical attacks, but for me violence was a controlled outlet and the pathway that led me to discipline and respect. I learned about violence through my involvement in martial arts. I started Tae Kwon Do when I was five years old and continued to practice until I moved to college just last year, that's thirteen years. Martial Arts isn't all you see in the movies with Bruce Lee cheesily smacking a hundred Chinese guys with his numchuks, it is not just a physical commitment but a mental one as well. While in martial arts more importantly than learning how to fight and defend myself I learned how to control myself and learned self discipline. While learning how to fight we learn to stop a punch or kick just inches from our opponent. I learned that the phrase "with great power comes great responsibility" was very true. When you become angry or frustrated at someone physical outbursts are just not an option because I have spent years of my life learning not to waste punches and when I hit I hit with accuracy and if I were to ever lose my temper real damage could be done. Knowing this growing up at my dojo we learn not only how to fight but how to have complete control over our emotions at all times.
     I often think this would be an effective way to treat people who are abusive especially at young ages. Martial arts can be a constructive outlet for their violence and aggression and potentially prevent them from transitioning into adulthood with these violent tendencies creating safer and more loving environments for their future families. I think it's interesting to contemplate peoples different upbringings potentially having such a large impact on their perception of society.
     What do you think about teaching martial arts to troubled youth? Giving them too much power or a method of helping them grow as a person?

1 comment:

  1. Thought-provoking post on the taking up Martial Arts as a controlled outlet of violence that leads to great discipline and self-confidence. I think teaching martial arts to troubled youth is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete